Teaching in Ghana

Lauren Chaika Studies Abroad

During my summer break I accompanied an art education professor, along with two other Art Education MAT Graduate students Kate Bisono and Lauren Fields, to Ghana, Africa to work and teach art in the small village of Abor. We spent the entire month of June there working at three different schools – In My Father’s House Children Village, St. Teresa’s School for the Handicapped and Disabled, and Abor Senior High School.

Over the course of the four weeks of our stay, we taught various different art lessons to so many wonderful children, worked alongside great teachers, amerced ourselves into the Ghanian culture, built and organized a library for the children at In My Father’s House, visited different towns and saw three different slave castles, including Keta, Cape Coast, and Elmina, “threw” clay on potter’s wheels at Vume Pottery Village, went to a traditional Ghanian wedding, and ventured high into the bow boa trees at Elmina Animal Reserve Canopy Walk.

It was an incredible experience and I would not change a thing about it. Not only did we bring art into the lives of these children and educate their teachers with different approaches to instructing their classes, we learned so much from this amazing community. I hope to travel back some day and see my students once again.

Apply Now!

Categories: